Saturday, February 6, 2010

IEP Tip Number 3:

Let's keep talking about progress monitoring....did you know that to help with decision making on a student's goal area,you may either use the 4 point decision making rule (4 points above or below the aim line) to help determine if instruction on the goal area needs to change or you could use a trend line analysis (this means that after 7 data points a black trend line will appear on the graph) and you analyze that as to progress that is being made toward the goal area. Feel free to contact your AEA staff with any questions on progress monitoring!

5 comments:

  1. Often I am amazed to see that the trend line shows more progress than I think the child is making from just looking at data points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Showing your student their chart both before and after testing helps them want to do better and then they want to reach a certain number. It really helps with motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have enough copies of my progress monitoring tools to get me at least a few months. Each student has a file labeled as Progress Monitoring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit confused about the place we are to make our decision making regarding the progress of the meeting the goal...
    So if the progress monitoring tool is a twice a month reading probe, I understand the decision regarding progress should be based on the same reading probe, correct? Are we taking into account daily work?? I haven't been...

    ReplyDelete