Thursday, January 14, 2010

IEP Tip Number 1:

Did you know?

Did you know that progress monitoring is a required component of the IEP process? Each IEP goal needs to have a graph with data that is collected and entered twice a month? You can always do weekly collections(this might happen more on behavioral goals) but the charting only needs to happen twice a month on the web IEP program.

The graphs have been a wonderful tool to show students, families, and staff the progress being made on a goal area. Congratulations to all of you who have succeeded in charting and graphing this year!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the IEP tip! It is very helpful for parents and students to see the graphs and charts. Kudos to the teachers for doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to show parents the graphs. But,more importantly, I appreciate being able to see trends when I am looking at the graphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that it only has to be twice a month. I thought you needed to have data points that correlate with the goal. For instance if it says 3 out of 5 data collection days, I thought we needed to show 3 points. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy -- I think it depends on the goal. For academic goals (i.e. reading, written language, math) we typically only collect data twice a month (every 7-10 school days, usually). However, for goals such as behavior, I sometimes monitor daily. Any more, I think they are getting away from the wording "4 out of 5 trials" (or something of the like) and going more towards something like "twice monthly using a four-point trendline analysis".

    I would love to get ideas on HOW to collect data. I am a work in progress when it comes to my organization strategies, and I often feel I have progress monitoring tools scattered throughout my room with no good way of recording them. How do other teachers collect data and track it without going into the IEP program every time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy Lou,
    I have a binder for each of my students with tabs for their goal areas. In the binder I place copies of progress monitoring tools for each goal area. Each student then has their own binder and can look at their previous scores. I can then easily take their binders and transfer their recent scores into the IEP graph. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete